Being a new mom is chaotic. Beautiful, but totally crazy. The smallest things make the biggest difference to your general sanity when you’re running on 3-4 hours of sleep. I’ve rounded up some of my new mommy essentials that I loved and couldn’t live without!
links: A cute diaper bag // iPhone // Water Bottle + Naked Juice // Eye Cream // Robe + PJs //
1. A CUTE diaper bag – Several of my friends told me about the Timi and Leslie brand of diaper bags. You can look them up and judge me later (they’re expensive), but here was my rationale: I wanted a bag that I would use again, and if it could do double duty as a professional bag later then it was worth the extra $$. See? I’m right. Plus, it’s crazy adorable and doesn’t look like a diaper bag so it’s a huge win. I get compliments at least once a week on how much women love my bag and when I tell them it’s my diaper bag they really don’t believe me! There are pockets galore (sometimes that’s a downside too – WHERE are my keys??) but it’s mostly a good thing.
2. My iPhone – Being a new mom means that all of your brain power is literally getting sucked out through nursing or nonexistent due to lack of sleep. My iPhone was my 3rd hand and helped me keep track things like making notes about things I needed, keeping up with baby’s schedule (see #6). Plus, it’s a lifeline to the outside world and texts from friends helped me stay encouraged.
3. Water bottle and Naked juices - I talked before in my top pregnancy picks about the importance of drinking water and that certainly doesn’t change once you have your little one! Water, water, water! If I wasn’t feeling well one day, I would think back to my water intake and it usually corollated. Plus, if you’re breastfeeding drinking enough water is VITAL to your success. Drink more than you think you’d ever need, then drink some more just to be sure. Naked juice. A dear friend of mine brought over granola bars and naked juice within the first week of having Baby J and I thought I died and went to heaven. I had already liked the juices, but really loved them when I realized they were a quick option when a child was SCREAMING bloody murder in the morning. They helped me get through the first feeding without ravenously eating my own hand.
4. Eye Cream – The need for EYE CREAM is essential when sleep is non-existent. The bags under your eyes can get out of control and can feel like craters, but Rodan+Fields eye cream is fantastic! I would leave it on my bedside table and make sure to dab some on before I went to bed, then I would wake up LOOKING refreshed even when I’d had very little sleep! Winning!!
5. Robe + PJs – I splurged and got a new set of PJs and a new robe from Target before I went to the hospital. I was sure to get PJs that buttoned for nursing purposes and a robe matched. I realized once I was walking around in my hospital room that wearing a robe actually made me feel like a legit MOM. I feel like all moms have a robe, right??
6. iPhone Apps – Baby Connect is my favorite baby app of all time. I know there are some other great (and free!) baby apps out there but this one did exactly what I needed it to do. It keeps track of everything – from feeding info, to sleep info, to tracking milestones, etc. And the best part?? It syncs with everyone who is a caregiver of your baby that you’ve designated. And since Baby J spends time with me, with his Dad, my mom keeps him, AND he goes to his nanny’s – all of those people can put the info into the app and it syncs seamlessly.
What about you – what did you HAVE to have as a new mom?? I’d love to hear from you!